Friday 9 January 2015

How I Made A Cat Wheel 2

Getting Closer

TAKING FORM
Today I began construction of the cat wheel frame that will hold up the wheel and be attached via the rotating mechanism/castor, and I also cut and attached the beams for the track. 
THE FRAME, part 1
I used 3 of the 90mm x 45mm for the frame base. These were cut into 2 pieces 600mm in length and one 900mm in length. These lengths were based on guestimates of other peoples' designs where the width of the frame was about 2/3 the diameter of the wheel and the depth of the frame had legs stuck out further in the front and in the back than the depth of the wheel. I assume these dimensions would be for stability and minimise any rocking, but then again they may just be an aesthetic choice of others. However, the fact that it pops up fairly consistently across designs makes me think its the former. 

I decided to attach the 900mm plank across the top of the two 600mm legs (rather than flat along the ground) so that there would be least amount of wood on the floor as we have wood and tiled flooring (which may not be necessary as Im thinking of attaching small non-slip mats on the feet), and because I think it looks nicer. 

As you can see in the picture I attached the planks using three timber screw on each end. Prior to inserting the screws I drilled pilot holes in both planks using a drill bit about 3/4 the size of the screw. This is to prevent wood from splitting, or so Im told. I also used liquid nails between the join to give me greater strength and stability.


I then attaches the 1200mm plank for the up-right part of the frame. I positioned this perpendicular to the bottom plank because the bracket on the caster fits near perfectly around the thickness of the plank. I used the same method attaching the up-right that I use for the feet; pilot holes in both pieces then three timber screws and some liquid nails.

From here I plan to attach a support frame to either side of the upright, attach the caster, then it should be ready to go (any aesthetic modifications aside).


THE TRACK, part 1
 
After I cut the large circle I got to measuring the 1.2m long 42mm x 19mm planks into 305mm lengths. 305mm being the width of the track that I am wanting. Most other people around the web have gone for 12inch tracks (304.5mm) so, while it does look like it might be a little narrow for my cat I was finally persuaded when 305 divided neatly into 1220 which means 4 even pieces of track from the 3mm plywood. Best to keep it simple, stupid. 

One of my 42x19 had a few knots outs of it and a couple of cracks so I left it out of the running for being part of the track and cut 5 of the planks into three 305mm beams. This was how I came up with the magic number of 18 beams. Mmmmm, Scientific. 

Again I drilled a pilot hole into each end of the 18 beams, and drilled 18 pilot holes into the 12mm plywood circle 203mm apart and about 8mm in from the edge of the circle. This was so the beams would be evenly spaced around the circle and would run flush against the cut edge of the circle once attached. 



I then pierced the circle pilot hole with the timber screw so that the tip had come out the opposite side before dabbing a small amount of liquid nails on the end of the beam and positioning it on the exposed tip of the screw. Then it was drill, then pierce, dab, drill, pierce, dab, drill, repeat. I was also wiping away any excess glue that oozed out the sides after each beam.

Its starting to not just look like random wood.

Next Ill be either doing the supports for the frame or trying to attach the running track without breaking the wood, or my spirits. 

Do cats feel gratitude?

No comments:

Post a Comment